POSTED FEB 12, 2023
EPISODE LINK –
CLICK / TAP TO LISTEN Episode #221 – Super Sunday
Thwarting swarming, UK Less Bugs Survey, 3C36 kills varroa mites, Honeycomb added to Whiskey, Bee Free Honee is no more, Honey Exemption from NJ Cottage Law, Honeycomb Jars at Dollar General, NJ Weather and Weather Zones, Honey Gelato Recipe, Local Hive Report
00:00 – 00:23 | Opening: Opening Music – Huey Lewis and the News
00:23 – 04:31 | Welcome and Intro: Welcoming Remarks & Agenda
04:31 – 16:23 | Roundtable 1: Switching Frame order to confuse the bees – thwarting swarming
16:23 – 21:36 | Roundtable 2: Less Bugs via survey
21:36 – 24:56 | Roundtable 3: 3C36 Compound Kills Varroa Mites
24:56 – 29:41 | Roundtable 4: Alcohol Enhancing Honeycomb – Cappings or Errant Comb added to Whiskey
29:41 – 31:28 | Roundtable 5: Bee Free Honee is no more
31:28 – 34:04 | Roundtable 6: Raw Honey Exemption from Cottage Law
34:04 – 35:44 | Roundtable 7: Honeycomb Jars at Dollar General
35:44 – 54:50 | Topic 1: Topology Effects on Weather in NJ – NJ Weather and Weather Zones
54:50 – 63:43 | Topic 2: Caramelized Honey Gelato Recipe
63:43 – 74:12 | Local Hive Report
74:12 – 75:38 | Closing Comments
Link | Bugs Matter Citizen Science Survey
Link | Have You Noticed Fewer Bugs on Your Windshield?
Link | Printable Bugs Matter Card Instructions
Link | Chemical discovered by SFU researchers could help honeybees fight off mite infestation
Link | Celtic Honey
Link | Washing cappings with Whiskey.
Link | Here’s What Happened To Bee Free Honee After Shark Tank
Link | Bill NJ A3991- Raw Honey Exemption from Cottage Law
Link | Pine Barrens Weather and Its Effect on NJ’s Microclimate – James A. Eberwine, retired Meteorologist
Link | The Climate of New Jersey
Link | Burnt Honey Gelato, Caramelized Honey Recipe from the National Honey Board Recipe
Caramelized Honey Gelato
For Caramelized Honey:
2/3 cup honey
1/2 tsp. lemon juice
1 T water
1 1/2 cups whole milk
3 sprigs fresh basil
2 large egg yolks
1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
1/2 cup Mascarpone Cheese
1. Prepare a Caramelized HONEY SYRUP:
Combine honey, lemon juice, and water in a small, heavy-bottomed saucepot.
2. Bring mixture to a simmer and cook for 8-10 minutes or until a deep amber color develops. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. PREPARE THE BASE:
In a medium, heavy-bottomed saucepot, bring milk and basil to a simmer. Remove from heat and allow steeping for 10 minutes.
4. Remove basil, and whisk in warm honey syrup.
5. TEMPER THE EGGS
In a separate medium stainless steel bowl, whisk egg yolks until smooth.
6. Slowly temper hot honey-milk mixture into the egg yolks and add salt.
7. COOK THE BASE
Pour the tempered egg mixture in with the base cook over a low flame for an additional 5 minutes, whisking constantly.
8. Remove from heat and whisk in Mascarpone cheese until well combined.
9. STRAIN AND COOL
Strain mixture through a sieve, cover with plastic wrap tucked tight to the surface, and refrigerate until cold.*
10. PREPARE THE GELATO
Churn mixture in ice cream maker, following manufacturer’s instructions.
11. CHILL THE GELATO
Once the gelato is finished in the ice cream maker, take the soft set result and put it into a large bowl.
12. Press down some saran wrap onto the surface and move it to the freezer to fully set; several hours (but overnight is best) Mascarpone
2 1/4 cups whipping cream (500 milliliter)
2 teaspoons fresh squeezed lemon juice (9 milliliters)
1. Add the cream to a saucepan over medium-low heat. Heat, whisking constantly to 184°F. (84°C).
2. When it reaches this temperature, remove it from the burner and slowly add the lemon juice a few drops at a time until fully mixed in.
– If added all at once there is a chance for it to curdle. Stir it in slowly, until fully incorporated.
3. Set up a pot with an interior colander. Line it with a clean tea towel, allowing the extra to fall over the sides of the pot. Pour the cheese into the cloth.
– the whey will fall through the cloth to the pot and the towel will absorb excess moisture. Place this in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
4. After 24 hours turn out the cheese into a clean bowl.
Honeycomb Glass Jar – Assorted, 1 qt (dollargeneral.com) https://www.dollargeneral.com/products/product-page.honeycomb-glass-jar-1-qt.html
Play in new window | Download